What You Ought to Find out about Feed in Tariff Modifications
Observe: The Feed-in Tariff scheme has now formally ended. All current registration beneath the scheme will proceed to obtain funds, nevertheless, no new purposes will likely be processed.
The solar PV Feed in Tariff within the UK is ending on 31 March 2019, however when you submit your FIT software on or earlier than today, your software may nonetheless be authorised after the closure date—offered your set up suits inside a deployment cap.
Due to this fact, if you’re pondering of putting in a solar panel, it will be a wise transfer to act rapidly with the intention to nonetheless qualify for the Feed in Tariff funds from 2019 onward. The closure of the federal government FIT scheme mustn’t deter you from putting in a photo voltaic panel in your house, since you may nonetheless reap the advantages of FIT funds over the subsequent 20 years.
By putting in a MCS-certified photo voltaic panel in your house, you possibly can then apply for the Feed in Tariff with a FIT-licensee. If this software is submitted earlier than the deadline, you would nonetheless qualify to obtain the funds for utilizing the renewable power.
Learn Our Information on the Newest Feed in Tariff Modifications
This text will supply details about the most recent Feed in Tariff modifications and what it is advisable do to nonetheless profit from it earlier than it ends in 2019.
The Feed in Tariff within the UK is a authorities scheme that was launched in 2010 and encourages householders to go for an array of small-scale renewable low carbon power applied sciences. The applied sciences lined by the federal government FIT scheme are photo voltaic PV, wind, hydro, anaerobic digestion, and micro-combined warmth and energy.
The class of photo voltaic PV may be additional break up up into two classes, in line with their Declared Web Capability (DNC):
- Small scale installations (MCS-FIT). In case your set up has a capability of as much as 50kW, then it’s categorised beneath the microgeneration licensed scheme. This should be put in by an MCS-certified installer. The common home photo voltaic panel set up is 4kW, due to this fact most householders would fall into this class.
- Massive scale installations (ROO-FIT). In case your photo voltaic PV set up is a large-scale one and exceeds a DNC of 50kW and has a complete put in capability as much as 5MW, then it’s thought of beneath the ROO-FIT class.
The Feed in Tariff is break up up into 4 intervals per 12 months, which have their respective deployment caps. These deployment caps have a restricted power capability – they don’t seem to be decided by variety of installations. As soon as a deployment cap has been crammed, no extra installations can qualify for FIT funds in that interval.
In 2019 there’s solely one tariff interval left, which is the primary quarter of the 12 months: 01 January – 31 March. With the intention to qualify for the Feed in Tariff earlier than it ends in 2019, your set up should fall beneath this deployment cap.
In case your software is processed after the deployment cap has been crammed, it is going to go right into a ‘queue’. You might nonetheless grow to be eligible for the Feed in Tariff funds if there are cancellations within the cap you wish to qualify for, due to this fact releasing up area.
The Feed in Tariff charges are depending on the deployment cap your set up falls beneath. The charges have been decided for every tariff interval till the tip of the scheme, which is 31 March 2019. The charges are diminished with every interval, which is named default degression. Merely put, which means that each three months the charges lower.
Moreover, if the deployment cap is crammed inside the interval, then the charges will degress by an extra 10%, which is named contingent degression. For additional details about particular Feed in Tariff charges, it will be greatest to seek the advice of your FIT-licensee.
Did You Know?
A deployment cap determines the entire capability that may qualify and obtain funds beneath the Feed in Tariff scheme. These caps are measured by their complete capability, relatively than the variety of installations.
To see when you can fall beneath the final deployment cap, you possibly can verify Ofgem’s weekly deployment update. This replace reveals the standing of the caps of all applied sciences inside a given interval.
With the intention to profit from the FIT funds, it’s a must to observe the applying course of and fulfil all standards.
For small-scale solar PV installations (MCS-FIT) you might have a couple of issues to do with the intention to qualify.
- Get an Vitality Ranking D (or Higher). Guarantee your property is power environment friendly sufficient to start with, to make the FIT a great long-term funding. Earlier than getting a photo voltaic panel put in you will have an Vitality Efficiency Certificates (EPC) with a ranking of D or above. If it’s not at this stage, it might price lots to get the effectivity as much as this stage, so bear this in thoughts. The EPC ranking must be commissioned inside 10 years of the FIT software.
- Get an MCS-Certification and Registration within the Database. Fee an MCS-certified installer to put in your photo voltaic panel. This installer will certify you and also will register you on the MCS database.
- Submit Your Utility to a FIT Licensee. Your FIT-licensee, or ‘power provider’, will distribute the Feed in Tariff funds to you. The FIT-licensee doesn’t essentially must be your installer or provider of the panel. Any modifications could have an effect on your Feed in Tariff charges, so it can be crucial that you simply replace your FIT-licensee when you change elements or make any modifications to your photo voltaic PV set up.
After getting signed the FIT phrases and have offered the meter studying to your FIT-licensee, then you can begin accumulating funds. That is known as your eligibility date. After getting submitted the meter studying, you need to obtain a cost inside 90 days.
There have been many modifications to the scheme thus far, however because it stands at the moment, the eligibility date for purposes that fall beneath the MCS-FIT scheme, which were submitted on or after the eighth of February 2016, are the later date of those two:
- The day you submitted your software to the FIT licensee.
- The primary day of the tariff interval that your set up falls beneath.
You should definitely recurrently ship your meter readings to your power provider, as they’re those that may calculate your FIT funds. Additionally report any modifications to your photo voltaic PV set up, as a result of this might have an effect on your charges.
Because the introduction of this scheme, the variety of photo voltaic panel installations grew exponentially, because the FIT charges have been so beneficiant. Over time, the federal government made quite a few cuts to the FIT charges, and has now finally deemed that renewables like photo voltaic panels at the moment are reasonably priced sufficient that they now not must be subsidised. By 31 March 2019, the Feed in Tariff will likely be scrapped.
Though this authorities scheme is coming to an finish quickly, you possibly can nonetheless profit from it over the subsequent 20 years—when you act quick sufficient.
Except for photo voltaic PV, there’s one other sort of photo voltaic power that’s subsidised by the UK authorities, specifically solar thermal. Photo voltaic thermal is used for heating, and is roofed by the Renewable Warmth Incentive (RHI) scheme. The federal government has not introduced any plans to scrap this incentive.
In case you are serious about shopping for a photo voltaic panel to nonetheless profit earlier than the Feed in Tariff ends, then merely fill within the contact kind above and GreenMatch will present as much as 4 quotes of various suppliers in your space. This service is totally free and non-binding.